Sunday, January 11, 2009

An Awesome Start to 2009

For those that know me, you know I tend to be sarcastic. Just a bit. :) So, keep in mind the title to the post is definitely a reflection of my sarcasm. Zach and I have been so optimistic about 2009 and how great it is going to be... Well, Tuesday morning after Zach returned to work, he got laid off. He made it through 6 layoffs last year and they are literally down to a skeleton crew now. He has no clue how they are going to function. He's thinking they won't for long. I thought 2009 was going to be awesome!!!

I also try to pull the positive out of any situation. Usually. Zach is being the positive one because he is so happy to be done with some of the crap and shadiness he's had to deal with. He gets paid through February and I am the one freaking out. Yep.... we kinda role-reversed there! I guess that's how we balance each other out. I think I can be my positive self when I can breathe because he has gotten a job.

It must be nice to have a wife who did some recruiting! I have been on the computer all weekend and Zach has been on the phone all week trying to get any leads he possibly can. I have to say, I am pretty impressed with myself (and Zach too)! Zach has made the networking connections, and I have submitted him (cold-with no contacts at the company) to like 20 companies. Granted, he has a much better chance getting on with a company with which he knows someone, but it's a numbers game!

He is trying to leave residential construction and get into the commercial side. Residential doesn't promise much for a while... probably not smart to go in that direction. The job he was doing suited him SO well, which is why he wants to stay in construction. He is unbelievable at time management, and is extremely detail-oriented. He is really good at putting systems into place to make things run efficiently, and he's also really great at the customer service side... dealing with both the trades and the customers. He has a fantastic memory... it's crazy what details he can pull out of his head about any one contractor or customer he's had in the past. He still remembers TELOS club members' names from 2005/2006!!! WEIRD!

OK, I know I am bragging on him... :) I'm not just saying that stuff because he is my husband! It's absolutely true! Considering the market situation, we have expanded our search beyond Dallas in order to give him a chance to get the best possible opportunity long-term. He really doesn't want to just take something to replace a paycheck. He really wants to find somewhere he can stay and grow. That is ideal. So, if you are reading and you happen to know someone in commercial construction (anywhere in Texas) that might be hiring, please let us know!

I am trying to leave my worries in God's hands and continuously pray for his guidance to help us get through this. Thank you so much for all of your prayers too...

"Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-7

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate, I'm so sorry for this added stress for you and Zach. I will be praying for you guys and keeping my ears open! Hang in there.

Katie said...

Kate, what a tough way to start the year! Sounds like you both have the right attitude. Brad and I will pray that a perfect opportunity presents itself soon(well, that God presents it!), and that you two will grow closer and rely on each other more during this time.

Adkins Fam said...

You guys will make it...good things happen to good people. We are praying!