Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mamacita Kate's Must Haves

First off, I am going to say one of the best things I have heard and read:

Every.Baby.Is.Different.

Every.Baby.Is.Different.

Every.Baby.Is.Different.

It's as simple as that. What has worked for me and Caroline may not work for you or anyone else for that matter. I read that Babies are like "snowflakes"... each one unique in their own ways. So true!

There have been some things that I have found are life-changing...and some things I have kinda been disappointed in. So, without further ado, here are some of my Baby Recommendations:

MUST HAVES: (for the first 3 months at least....)

1.) Books. I know what you're probably thinking. Just bear with me.

The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg
This is a must-read, and an easy-read. I would highly recommend reading it while pregnant instead of a couple of weeks in while you are struggling to stay awake :) It goes through feeding (whether breast-feeding or bottle-feeding) and setting a sleep schedule. Highly important!

On Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo
This is very similar in theory to the Baby Whisperer book, although this one is more theory/research-based and Tracy's book is more anecdotal. Both are incredible and both are highly recommended by many! Also, there is a blog that goes along with this book--written by a mom who helps you learn how to implement their philosophies. IN-credible. Seriously. Just go visit it once and tell me you don't get sucked in reading. OK, well, I did. I digress...

**NOTE: If I had actually read either of the above books BEFORE I had my daughter, it would have saved me a lot of anxiety, worry, and tears. I attribute the fact that Caroline is sleeping 11-12 hours per night at 3 months to these books. And God's grace. Period.**

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Mark Weissbluth
I am still in the process of reading this, but this is one of those "life-changing" books... I don't know if I could think of anything more important than how to make sure your child gets the most/optimum amount of rest at any given age.

Baby Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields
This book is seriously amazing for when you are pregnant. I bought this before I started registering and it saved me a LOT of time and energy researching products. Little do you know before you have a kid HOW many products you will need... And the ratings...and certifications...and recalls... oh my! I was able to figure out which crib to buy, which alone, made the $12 price tag worth every penny. It also helps you figure out what products you can save on, and what products are "you get what you pay for"...

2.) Carseat: Graco Snugride Infant Carseat--up to 22 lbs.
I chose this carseat, not only because it has some of the highest crash test ratings, but because it is the lightest carseat on the market. Without a baby inside, it weighs something like 7lbs. Your arms will thank you. Promise. **It also is able to "snap" into most stroller systems if you don't want to get the plastic stroller/travel system that goes with all of their carseats.

3.) Stroller: Baby Jogger City Mini
We weren't able to get a big jogging stroller (like the BOB, (highly recommended by many) which we're going to save up for :) However, I didn't want to get a travel system from Graco because I am not a fan of the plasticky looking strollers. That's just my own personal preference, though. I digress.... The City Mini (and most of the other Baby Jogger brand-which are all awesome!) folds up very easily... no-ridiculously easily... Watch here

I was also able to purchase a bar that clicks into the stroller so my carseat can fit right on top... Which allowed us to only have to purchase one stroller at this point so we didn't have to wait until she could hold her head up.

4.) Nap Nanny
This is an infant sleep-aid/positioner that allows babies to sleep at a 30 degree incline. This is extremely important when they have Reflux (and Caroline has a monster case of it) or even for when they have colds--you can keep their heads up to help with congestion. A wonderful, wonderful friend recommended and allowed us to borrow hers, but I think we'll probably buy one before we have our next kiddo. It is a bit pricey, but it was so worth it for us.

5.) Crib: Graco
Most people go to furniture stores and buy a whole set of baby furniture...which is great. However, cribs and baby furniture are very tricky because of the ratings. Many of the same brands go by their own name, but it's really the same crib from the same manufacturer. If that makes sense... My first thought was that I would get our crib from Pottery Barn Kids- thinking this would be a "you get what you pay for" type of deal... Not. At. All. Pottery Barn Kids and Restoration Hardware (two of my favorite stores) both got C-ratings on their cribs. Not quite what I was hoping for.

Graco cribs are made by La Jobi (Who also makes Babi Italia and Bona Vita cribs) and the Graco line is not only cost-effective, but is certified and A-rated. Our crib was a mere $160! Crazy, huh? If you just search Graco crib in Amazon or Google, you will see they have many to choose from. They are all made of wood and are definitely good quality. We chose the Graco Lauren in espresso.

**Side note: There was a Graco Crib recall back in April, but that was for drop-side cribs. Basically all drop-side cribs are being either recalled, or just plain phased out for potential safety hazards. We have a stationary crib.

6.) Sleep Sheep
Cloud B makes these little stuffed animals that play white noise/nature sounds. It's awesome! You can travel with it too...

7.) Oxy-Clean Spray
This spray works SO well on all of Caroline's burp cloths and clothes... I'm on my 2nd bottle in just 3 months... it's crazy how well it works though! I found ours at Target.

8.) Swaddlers
I should have put this at the very top, because this is SO important! I still keep Caroline swaddled, even at 3 months, and she sleeps great! I know that most of that can be contributed to swaddling her. Here are 2 must-haves:

Aden + Anais Swaddle Wraps- made of lightweight, breathable cotton muslin, they are so perfect for Texas. You can also continue to use them after the baby grows out of being swaddled. Plus, they have very cute prints! She has some great information on the website plus a video on how to swaddle.

The Miracle Blanket- This is a straight-jacket for babies, but that is why it works! I swear by it- I use it every day! If swaddling tightly works for your baby, I highly recommend purchasing at least 2. I only have one, and I wish I had bought a second one! They have more colors than just the natural colored one. I have a white with pink trim one. **Do not mistake other brands as the same thing... this is the only one that gets the swaddle this tight. It's a no-brainer for parents... you always get them perfectly tightened up.

9.) Dr. Brown's Bottles
These bottles are seriously the best. I have had several friends use them, and overheard many conversations in baby stores talking about how these bottles got rid of Colic. Now, I don't know if I would go that far, but they do make a HUGE difference as far as preventing bubbles in the milk, and therefore, bubbles in their tummies. They have a couple extra parts you have to keep track of/clean, but if I had to go back, I would still pick these.

10.) Ultimate Crib Sheet
This is a sheet you put over the top of the crib mattress, so when they have a blowout or pee through their clothes, you don't have to take the fitted sheet off the mattress. They are completely machine washable and dryable and you barely even notice them in the crib because they cover the entire mattress.

So, those are my must-haves for the first three months at least... I know there are more, and I'll add those over time when I think of them.

WAH, WAH, WAH...

Here are a couple of things that I thought were duds:
1.) Itsbeen Timer
In theory, it's great. Helps you keep track when you're nursing, their naps, changing, etc... But, it's not specific enough and it doesn't save data. So, it's only good since the last time you fed, changed, or napped... Also, if you have an iPhone, they have an app for that. :)

2.) Any swaddler other than Aden + Anais or The Miracle Blanket. Waste of money.

I know there were more duds, but I can't think of them off the top of my head... I'll add to them later if I can ever remember them! :)

5 comments:

Liz said...

This is awesome! And exciting because I'm registered for ALL of these things!! YAY for me for being on track. Now I just have to go get the books and some OxyClean and I'm set. :)

Kate said...

Go girl! That's awesome! Hope you like em! :)

Ashleigh said...

Love this! I'm pregnant with my first, so I will definitely come back to this entry for registry! Thanks!
Also I'm sad to tell you this - Ezzo was found to have falsified evidence in his book. :( But I'm shocked that apparently NO ONE knows that. I found out in one of my childhood development classes when I was getting my masters. There's definitely some stuff on the internet about it but not much. I will say though that it doesn't mean there's not something to the concepts he wrote about - just no evidence he did to support it.
And I'm reading Baby Bargains now - sooo good.
Also what's the deal with the sidebar recall? Is it the ones that you push up (or in or whatever) and they release down? Or are these the ones that fold in half and fall down? I know the latter were recalled. But I'm short so I need the first!!

Kate said...

I'm sorry to hear the Babywise guy falsified stuff... However, I didn't enjoy reading his book because everything was so clinical!! The practical application is very good, and very worthy-even if his research doesn't back it up. If you read The Baby Whisperer also, you will see they both have a lot of the same techniques. One of my best friends has used Babywise and now ToddlerWise and swears by them. Her little girl is soooo good too! And of course-- you can't substitute good old fashioned mother's intuition! You will have it, even though you will doubt yourself a lot. You will definitely learn what works for your little one... and sometimes things they tell you in the book don't work! You'll always find a way to make things work, because that's your job as a Mama! :)

The recall for the dropside cribs is because several infants have gotten stuck somehow...not really sure. I have heard that since you bring it up and down so much, the parts can wear out. I am very short too, and I was worried about that for the stationary cribs. But, I haven't felt like it makes a difference at all. I think it includes all cribs whose sides go up and down in any manner. I think you'll find the stationary crib is just fine. Worst case- you can get a step stool! Haha

Good luck with everything! Let me know if you have any questions- I am happy to help! I have definitely gotten some of the best advice from my friends who have just had babies, so I feel like it's important to help others in any way I can!

Ashleigh said...

Thanks for the clarification!!! I'm so sad about that recall!
I've heard great things ab the Baby Whisperer book. And I may still check out the other one - just with a grain of salt. ;)
I'll def let you know if I have more questions!