Today marks one year since I left my beloved 4th grade teaching position to stay at home with Caroline. She was born the following Monday, and life hasn't been the same since. It has been a magical roller coaster ride through many ups and downs, which has changed me more in one year's time than anything else has changed me in my entire life. I love staying at home with Caroline, although I will say it rivals Teaching as one of the most challenging jobs I have ever had (I have been in PR, inside sales, recruiting, outside sales, and teaching). I have had a lot of people make comments about staying at home, asking if I ever get bored. I try really hard to just smile and giggle, instead of having a bewildered look on my face. I have very strong beliefs and opinions about what my job involves as a stay-at-home-mom, none of which include watching my TV shows during the day, doing household chores while the baby is awake, or eating bon-bons ;) (I had to throw that in there).
I feel that my job between 7am and 7pm is to help Caroline develop into a Christ-centered, loving, genuine, humble, and down-to-earth human being. There will always be things to do around the house, and I try to get them done when she naps, or after she goes to bed. If I was to sit her in an exersaucer or pack-n-play so I could get household chores done, I would never get to play with her or teach her the things she should be learning.
I am so lucky that Zach is on board with this frame of mind. While he's at work managing construction projects, I'm at work teaching Caroline. When she goes down to sleep is when we take care of the other things. We both share the house-keeping duties, and he definitely puts in his time as one of the best Daddies ever.
Caroline, you are such a gift from God. I couldn't imagine life any other way.
3 comments:
I am in awe of you. I only hope I can be half the mom you are. The way you approach your job is commendable. I want to be you! Your daughter is going to grow up to be an amazing woman because of you!
I love this post! Caroline has an excellent Mama. :)
Way to go momma!! She is already a delightful young lady. Can't wait to be closer to you and share our backyard playsets :-)
Post a Comment