Monday, November 21, 2011

{no regrets: microsuede}

Back in the fall of 2008, Zach got a bonus in the form of a gift card he could use at several places. Crate and Barrel was included on that list. We had been saving gift cards to Pottery Barn so we could get a new sofa, but decided to use the bonus gift card to Crate and Barrel instead. We had $1000, which doesn't always get you very far when buying a sofa. We went to the store, and found one we thought would be great. It was $999.00. Perfect! Clean lines, no back cushions for Sadie to smash, and it was made of microsuede. Hmm... I was a little leary of microsuede, because at the time, my perception was that it was a little cheap-looking. The microsuede had a very classy herringbone pattern, and a rich mocha color, so we went with it. It has been a great couch. Still going strong 3 years later!

Fast forward to nursery-gear. I wanted a rocker/recliner for Caroline's room, but had a hard time finding one within my budget. I returned all of the duplicate items we had received at baby showers and hoarded those gift cards and store credits until I had enough. I found one at Babies 'R Us that was a deep chocolate brown, had great reviews, and could rock AND recline without having to need an ottoman. Again, it was made of microsuede. I was hoping for cotton or velvet, but didn't have any problems compromising on that. It was a great choice. Not only has Caroline thrown up on me several times while sitting in it, but I have also clumsily spilled coffee on it more than I care to admit. All I have to do is soak up any extra spill, and then wet a washcloth to clean the surface. It dries, and you can't tell at all. Amazingly enough, it doesn't smell either.

When you have kids, or tend to spill a lot (guilty), this is one of the best things to have for your upholstered furniture. I am sure leather is great for it too, but that hasn't been in my budget thus far. I am so happy with both choices, so I wanted to recommend it in case you have looked past it too!

Microsuede. Thumbs up!

No comments: