One thing I truly didn't expect, though, was that my social life would come to a complete standstill. I know what you're thinking... duh!! But, what I mean is that some of my friends have called, wanting to chat and catch up on how everything is going with the baby and I didn't expect that my days/nights would be so wrapped up in Caroline that I wouldn't even have time for a phone call... Text messaging is easier- I have perfected the art of a one-handed text message or two while Caroline is feeding. It helps to have an iPhone so that I can keep people somewhat updated on Facebook too. So, if you have called me and haven't received a call back... Know that it means the world to me and I WILL get back to you. I promise!!
Update on Caroline... She is going to be 6 weeks old on Monday (HOLY COW!) and as of this past Monday, she weighed 8 pounds 11 ounces. We haven't measured her height in a few weeks, but last time we measured, she was 21.25" long. I can't believe how much she is growing and changing right in front of our eyes. She is a sweet, sweet, sweet little girl... very sensitive, but very sweet.
The poor thing also has a horrific case of Gastroesophogal Reflux Disease. We've been to the doctor several times, and he even referred us to a Pediatric GI Specialist. We've changed medications twice and have tried just about everything under the moon to help ease this sweet baby's pain. This includes a complete overhaul of my diet-- I cannot have anything with dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, or beef. Surely you are thinking the same thing I was thinking when I heard this... What CAN I eat??? Well... chicken, rice, pasta, fruits, and veggies... That's about it. I would seriously hate to have a soy allergy. EVERYTHING has soy in it-- soybean oil, soy protein, soy, soy, soy... Argh! I also miss desserts/sweets... and if you know me at all, I am sure you are wondering how I am getting by without cheese... My answer is I don't know. Good thing this little girl is worth it!!
Since we are starting to get the reflux under control a bit, I have started to implement a somewhat structured routine for Caroline. I am almost finished reading "The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg. (Later post to come on this...) It's wonderful! What's funny, is that the author is British and she writes the book as if she's having a conversation with you. It is complete with cute little British phrases such as "mummy" and "luv" and "codswallop"... which for some reason, makes me read it in a British accent (in my head). I can't help it!!! Anyways.... She really breaks down everything a new "Mum" needs to know when starting out. I also plan on reading "Babywise" when I get around to it... One of her basic fundamental points is that you should get the baby on a routine from day one... not a schedule to go by the clock, but a routine. It's starting to take shape this week and I am actually getting to do some things around the house. Liberating!
My first Mother's Day was unbelievably wonderful. One thing Zach did for me was get a newborn photo session by the talented Tyan Jacox of Tiny Bird Photography. I wasn't planning on getting professional pictures done, but it was a wonderful, wonderful gift that I will be able to cherish forever. If you'd like to see the pictures, click on this link. (She was 3 weeks old at this point)
Here are a couple of pictures of Caroline at 5 weeks... She has my big blue eyes, and pretty much everything else Zach! She is so cute! (But, I am a bit biased!)


3 comments:
Wonderful update!! And those pictures, oh my gosh! I hadn't heard of that photographer, but I'll be keeping her name! I love the one where Z is kissing your head and the last two of just you and CMG!
You are doing such a good job! I can only imagine how exhausted you must be. I'm definitely going to learn from you how to be a good mom. Loved the update! Keep it up!
Oh my gosh... I just watched the slideshow after I posted the last comment... WOW! These are the most beautiful baby pictures ever!! You all are just a picture perfect family. So sweet.
Post a Comment