
Dear Caroline,
I can't believe you are well on your way to being one year old. It literally seems like yesterday that we were heading to the hospital knowing we would soon hold you in our arms. Your eyes were so open and alert when the new grandparents came into the room to lay eyes upon you for the first time. I stared in awe, never taking my eyes off of you for a moment.
The first month was extremely difficult. Your Mimi and Granddad came to stay with us the first 10 days, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it without their help. Daddy couldn't take many days off of work, and there were lots of tears when they left. That's when it got really hard. We found out you have reflux and a milk protein allergy, so we had many nights of screaming, breathing treatments, rocking, walking the house, tears, and lots of praying. But, you know your Mama. I pushed through it all and didn't give up until I knew what was hurting you.
We finally got you some medicine, and I had to go on a very strict diet. But, it worked. And you were a different baby. A sweet, precious, beautiful girl that we had been hoping and praying for.
We still had our struggles, but things got much better. Even with the reflux, you got right onto a schedule, and slept through the night by 3 weeks old. By 12 weeks, you were more than happy to sleep 12 hours through the night. You still do. You really have been such a great sleeper. I think that was God's way of helping us through it.
You were cooing sweet little ohh's by 4 weeks, and giggling by around 8 weeks. Your smile. Ohhh, your smile. Gosh, that made everything worthwhile. I used to love letting you sleep on my chest, but I knew it would be better for you in the long run if I helped you learn to sleep in the crib without me. You have adjusted to things so well.
You cut your first tooth at 4.5 months, and was that a big surprise or what! Then they just kept coming. Now, you have seven teeth. You cut another one last week. It felt like it was the most painful one yet. I guess it doesn't ever get easier seeing you hurt, even after 10 months.
With all that tummy pain, you refused to do any productive sort of tummy time. So, I let you learn on your own time. I knew you would get there. Once you would roll to your tummy, that meant I couldn't swaddle you anymore. That was so hard- you could fall fast asleep as soon as I laid you in your crib with that swaddle blanket. And once you did that, you started rolling all over the place. It was like somebody hit the turbo button. You rolled, and then started crawling, and quickly cruising the furniture, and now you are starting to stand on your own. This is all just in the past 2 months! Your Daddy and I both started walking at 11 months, and I am not sure whether you will or not. You'll do it on your own time, because that's how you like to do things. I have no idea where you got that from {wink}.
You have such the personality. My goodness, you are joy to be around. You smile at anyone and everyone and love to wave at people. The grocery store is a lot of fun when you flirt with everyone. I beem with pride when they tell me how happy you are.
I love how you talk. You say Mama, Daddy (Dad-ee, DaDa), Sadie (say-dee, say-dog), dog (your favorite), hi, bye bye, banana (nuh-nan-nuh), and you like to try new words all the time. When I ask you if you would like a bottle, you say, "bah" every time. When I ask you if you want your paci, you say "puh" every time. You understand so much of what we say to you, and I find that so amazing. Oh man, and when I ask for a "smooch," I love how you just go for it! Baby fish kisses are the best.

We just delight in your tricks. You learn new things so fast! When I ask you what a fish says, you make the sound that a lady would make after she has put on lipstick. When I ask you what a monkey says, you breathe deeply, trying to mimic our "ooh ooh ahh ahh." When I ask you what a dog says, you say dog. It makes me laugh, because no matter what is going on around you, if I say "Sadie" or "Dog", you immediately respond with "dog." It's also usually the first thing you say when you wake up besides Mama and Dada. It's just adorable. Whenever any music is on, you like to bob up and down, and nod your head to the beat. That just makes my heart swell, because I always hope for you to love music as much as your Daddy and I do. One of the more recent tricks you have learned is "so big." When we ask you how big you are, you throw your arms up like you made a touchdown. And then you expect an applause afterwards. And you definitely get it! Every. single. time.
Even though it has been a really big challenge for me, I wouldn't give up being your Mama for anything. I adore you and love you so very much. It will be fun to see how you grow in the next month and a half before your big day. Until then, I will cherish my time with you, because it just goes by so fast.
xo,
Mama
5 comments:
Love it.
She is the sweetest! Cannot wait to see her (and you guys) again :) Come visit! xo.
Sooo sweet!
Such a sweet letter! I bet Caroline will love reading this when she's older. You make me excited for my own little girl :-)
I adore the picture of zach and Caroline kissing. What beautiful subjects captured by a talented photographer! Love to all of you!
Post a Comment