Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pregnancy Recipes

As you've probably seen on the left, I haven't had too many weird cravings. However, when I crave something, it's hard to get it out of my head. Unpregnant, I am normally a "salty-tooth" kind of person. I usually don't save room for dessert. I love cheese pizza like no other (pregnant or not!)

Caroline must have a sweet tooth because I really like chocolate ice cream. One of the forms I usually have it in is kind of a like a milk shake- without the shake. Thanks to my Mom, we used to make what we now call "Ice Milk."

Momma Rob's Ice Milk:
Put some chocolate (Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate is the best) ice cream into a glass and cover the ice cream with milk. Give it a few seconds, and the milk starts to freeze. The ice cream and milk make a sort of milkshake-like concoction. It's pretty good. No blender required. You can add as little or as much milk as you like to make it thin or thick. A spoon is all you need. Yum!
________________________________________

One morning I had a craving for Eggs Benedict. There is this place in Chicago in the Roscoe Village/Lakeview area called Frasca. We had brunch there one time and it was TO DIE FOR. Seriously. Check out the brunch menu and see if you don't drool. I digress--So, I must have been thinking about the amazing Eggs Florentine I had there (same as Benedict, but with turkey instead of ham) and decided that I needed to find a way to make it at home. I do not have a gourmet cooking bone in my body, so I knew the Hollandaise sauce was going to have to be nixed. Laugh it up, but it's good!! Here is what I came up with:

Eggs Caroline:
Eggs
Ham or turkey slices
Swiss Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
Bread (I prefer sourdough or Buttermilk, but go with what you like)

Preheat a skillet on medium and spray with Olive Oil cooking spray or Pam. Fry an egg on both sides to your liking (over-easy or over-medium). (**Or, if you prefer, you could poach them instead). In a toaster oven or in your regular oven, place a slice of bread, plus 2 slices of ham/turkey, and then the cheese on top. I like to break the cheese into smaller pieces and place them where they will cover the most area melted, but you can just slap the slice on there if you want. Toast/Broil until the cheese is melted on top.

On your plate, place the bread with meat and melted cheese face up. Place the egg on top. Using a knife, cut bite-sized pieces like you are cutting a steak. The yolk will run all over the bread and plate. Then eat with a fork. Voila! Eggs Caroline.

Both of these recipes are favorites of Zach's now, though I probably shouldn't brag since he'll eat anything! If you choose to partake, hope you enjoy!

No comments: